Sports – Films – Reviews – Life Stories – Video Games It's all here on The Rif Files.
Barclays Premier League
Venue: The Stadium of Light, Sunderland
Attendance: 41, 781
Goals: Tadic 69’ (Pen)
For those of whom asking where my review of the Everton game was I purposely didn’t do it because I was that pissed off about it. First half we were on top of our game, we hit the bar at least three times and were unlucky to enter half time with a draw. Then it all fell apart in the second half ending 6-2 to Everton.
I made a mental note to myself that no matter what, I will review the Southampton game.
Wish I didn’t bother now in all honesty.
I’m looking at the match stats as I write this and it was a one sided affair for the Saints. 65% of the possession, 13 shots at goal with 6 on target. Two of whom were cleared off the line! Sunderland on the other hand had 35% of the possession and a pitiful 9 shots with only 3 on target. Those statistics demonstrate the difference in attacking quality both teams processes; I guess you could also see it as a strong defensive showing from Sunderland. That’s what Allardyce brings to the table. He’s known for organising strong defensive units, not so much on the attacking front so that’s something we should look to build on.
Subbing off Steven Fletcher for Jack Rodwell was a strange one. Fletcher played in their half, on his own I may add, and then gets subbed off? I’m slightly concerned by Big Sam’s tactics and team selections in his first few games.
Already people are pointing the finger at Sam. It’s no good passing the blame to the manager all the time. It’s the players, have our fans now sussed on by now? This squad just isn’t good enough to avoid relegation, and if we somehow do pull it off (again) we’ll still be in the same position next season. Congerton, De Fanti and Short are the ones who should shoulder the blame. It’s been one poor signing after another for too long now. Something’s got to change and it’s got to come from the top.
I felt that we were a whole lot more competitive than last week against Everton, the needless penalty conceded by M’Villa hurts but I do some signs of progression being made by the team.
Looking at our next five fixtures we’ve got Crystal Palace (A), Stoke City (H), Arsenal (A), Watford (H) and Chelsea (A). A tough set of fixtures I know, at least we’ll get something at Chelsea, huh?
Current league position (out of 20):19th
Rif’s man of the match: Jordy Clasie – Southampton: Was instrumental in many of Southampton’s attacks and was constantly in the thick of things throughout the 90 minutes.
Next game: Crystal Palace @ Selhurst Park, London